Click Here!

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Hydroponics question. We have had a lot 60%?

Question by Vicki R: Hydroponics question. We have had a lot 60%?
of our hydroponic grown tomatoes ending up with a black bottom. Some fruit on the same bush are uneffected, someone suggested it could be calicum related but they didn’t explain if it is too much or too little, also suggested was blossom end rot I read up on that but it sounds different to what we are experiencing. It is summer here in Queensland Australia, and I’m stumped for an answer. Can anyone help.

Best answer:

Answer by Dustoff
In 1975 I was Assistant Production Manager at a 13 acre, hydroponic, tomato production range in Tucson, Arizona. All the formulation of the nutrient make-up, and environmental culture monitoring was by contract with The University of Arizona Environmental Research Lab (ERL), in Tucson.

ERL personnel have changed since then and the tomato production has long been gone, but —– I am sure that all that data has not been lost. And in that data would be the answer to your demise — I’m sure of it..as your problem is all too common. I tried raising greenhouse tomatoes (not via hydroponic system) in Saudi Arabia after completing my degree at the U of A. And I had a terrible time with something very similar, if not the same to what you describe. I could not defeat it and just muddied along harvesting what was not affected. I was not producing for profit, rather the tomatoes were for a special project relating to the request of a prince. The greenhouses were for producing several million landscape plants.

I suggest that you go to:

http://cals.arizona.edu/SWES/erl/index.
htm

click on Personnel

This will give you the Faculty window. First name at the top of the list is Pepper, Ian L., Professor, Director, ERL and WQC. He is da man. His E-mail address is right there (ipepper@ag.arizona.edu). Give him a shot and see what happens.
Cheers Mate

Give your answer to this question below!



Ardella Selmon

No comments:

Post a Comment