Click Here!

Saturday 8 December 2012

How do I become an Aquarist?

Question by Jacinta: How do I become an Aquarist?
I would love to become an Aquarist, but I have no idea what l would need to study to be one. Marine life just fascinates me and this would be an awsome job! I’ve looked on the net and a few sites say that l’d need to be a Marine Biologist, but these were all American websites.

Does anyone know what kind of qualifications or degrees l’d need here is Australia? Although l am a certifed Vet Nurse, l don’t have any experience in this type of work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Best answer:

Answer by Ozmaniac
My understanding of what an Aquarist does is that they are the people who work in aquarium shops looking after the fish and tanks. In Australia, you wouldn’t need any formal qualifications but all of the people I’ve come across in those shops are aquarium enthusiasts and keep fish as a hobby so that would be a good place to start.

If you want a professional career in a marine related discipline, you would need a degree in Marine Biology or Marine Studies or Aquaculture or something similar. The top Australian universities in those fields are James Cook in Townsville and UQ in Brisbane but not many jobs are available to people with only an undergraduate degree.

Add your own answer in the comments!



Ardella Selmon

No comments:

Post a Comment